Stuff I Can Do
Where to Begin?
Citizen Science Academy
Explorations in Educational Settings is an Online Course about Picture Post and other citizen science programs that is offered several times a year.See More
iBook: Monitoring Environmental Change with iPads
Available from iTunes, this iBook explains everything about using Picture Posts with students including analyzing data in pictures, and is a great reference for anyone who wants to plan and begin a Picture Post project. Authored by Apple Distinguished Educator and award-winning environmental science teacher, Nick LaFave, we are pleased to share this exciting resource.Get the iBook
Plant Monitoring Activities
Plan and take repeated photographs for citizen science projects. Capture events, monitor a local park, a wetland, a riverbank, or even plants in the backyard!
- Adopt a Leaf - Record the opening of leaves or flowers in the spring.
- Adopt a Tree Diameter (DBH) - Measure the changing diameter of one or more trees.
- Adopt a Canopy - Capture the seasonal changes in percent leaf cover in a forest canopy.
- Adopt a Climate Change Indicator - Track the timing of seasonal changes in greenness in existing pictures.
- Adopt a Season - Record the changing fall colors in deciduous trees.
- Set up a Phenology Walk - Set up a site to highlight seasonal changes, aka - phenology, in plants.
- Join Project Budburst - Contribute my seasonal observations to a national network.
DEW Picture Analysis Tools
DEW has created a software bundle and learning guides about color, light, and pixels, and how to use these to analyze features in digital images.Get DEW Software Bundle
Included in the Software Bundle
Color plays an important role in the information contained in digital images. How well do you understand color?
Learn about the concepts behind digital image analysis and try out the features of the Analyzing Digital Images program.
- AnalyzingDigitalImages (ADI)
This is THE software tool: use this program for measuring spatial features in pictures such as length and area of items, for doing color analysis to view spectral features, and to measure change in two or more images.
Tools similar to ADI, but applied to movies instead of still images.
- ForestAnalysis (included in Analyzing Digital Images)
Select an area in the USA and explore how Old Growth forests have changed. How has the forest cover changed in your region or at the location of your Picture Post?