A Picture Post is an 8-sided platform for taking repeat photographs of the entire landscape and an Up picture of the sky.
- Check out our Help Page for tips and information on installing a post, taking and uploading photos, and more.
Plant Monitoring Activities
Learn how to use picture posts for citizen science projects. Monitor your local park, a wetland, a riverbank, or even plants in your own backyard!
- Adopt a Leaf - Plan and take repeated photographs that capture an event, such as the opening of leaves or flowers in the spring. See how a time-lapse video shows off the dynamic changes captured in your photographs.
- Adopt a Tree Diameter (DBH) - Plan and take repeated photographs that capture the changing diameter of one or more trees.
- Adopt a Canopy - Plan and take repeated photographs that capture the changing percent leaf cover in a forest canopy.
- Adopt a Season - Plan and take repeated photographs that capture the changing fall colors in deciduous trees.
- Join Project Budburst! - Contribute seasonal information to a national network about plants in your pictures.
Free DEW Software for Analyzing Your Pictures (from Global Systems Science)
We suggest you try out the DEW software in the following order and start exploring your pictures now!
Software is available here for both Mac and PC.
Color plays an important role in the information contained in digital images. How well do you understand color?
Learn about the concepts behind digital image analysis and try out the features of the Analyzing Digital Images program.
This is THE software tool: use this program for measuring spatial features in pictures such as length and area of items, for doing color analysis to view spectral features, and to measure change in two or more images.
- ForestAnalysis (included in Analyzing Digital Images)
Select an area in the USA and explore how Old Growth forests have changed. How has the forest cover changed in your region or at the location of your Picture Post?
DEW Software Guides (PDF files): Download Acrobat Reader
View our Help Videos:
We have created videos to help with using the AnalyzingDigitalImages software.
Looking for Measuring Vegetation Health?
- MVH (renamed DEW)
- The complete original set of MVH materials is now hosted by Global Systems Science at the Lawrence Hall of Science.